Health Benefits of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) for Women
- Traditional fuels, such as firewood, charcoal and agricultural residues, are highly pollutant and release CO2, HC and Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) in quantities that could potentially reach a hundred times the amounts recommended by the World Health Organisation (2005-3). With Nigerian women taking on the task of cooking both in their homes and as part of their entrepreneurial endeavours (also known as Mama Puts), they are often the main victims of these noxious emissions.
- Access to cleaner fuels, such as LPG, for domestic cooking and heating reduces women’s exposure to harmful indoor air pollution, which can be responsible for all manner of health problems. These can range from respiratory infections to cancer and brain damage.
- LPG is a much cleaner option than traditional fuels, releasing 50% less carbon emissions than alternative fossil fuels and 20% less than heated oil. Studies have shown that women exposed to indoor smoke are three times likely to suffer from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, such as chronic bronchitis. Persistent exposure to indoor air pollution has been associated with 76,000 deaths in Nigeria and 1.6 million deaths per year globally (WHO, 2006). LPG does not release smoke when it burns.
What are the health benefits of using liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) for young girls?
Domestic use of LPG can positively impact the health of young girls. In particular, it reduces the dangers associated with the need to collect firewood from the bush, since carrying a heavy load of firewood over a long distance may impact the wellbeing of the child. Switching to LPG also reduces the amount of toxic fumes that normally result from cooking with firewood. In turn, this can significantly decrease the chances of children contracting respiratory disorders and other related ailments.
Cooking with Gas (LPG)
- Cooking with LPG is simple makes the whole process quicker and less stressful. Additionally, it produces a lot less heat in the kitchen when compared with firewood and charcoal.
- LPG burns cleanly and does not produce soot, smoke or even smell during combustion, thereby leaving your kitchen clean and fresh.
- The blue flame is visible and its size is easily controlled over a wide range, so that the desired heat can be easily reached and maintained.